10 February 2009

Helping in times of crisis

As I was going through my daily routine of looking through Twitter updates and blog entries, I came across this poignant thought from a commenter on lightrailblogger.com. This hearkens back to an entry I posted back in December with some words of wisdom from Kirsten Martin, a good friend and one of my Student Ambassador colleagues:
With all the cuts in the Phoenix city budget and Maricopa County budget, there are going to be far fewer services to help the homeless get off the street and back into productive living. We need to step up and help - NOW. Whether it's serving food at St. Vincent de Paul, or Andre House or getting involved at the Lodestar Day Resource Center or making a financial donation (even $5 will be welcomed) to CASS or SVdP -- every little bit helps. In my experience, volunteering my time to help those in need provides far greater personal rewards than the help that I give. I particularly suggest it if you are having your own pity party about your personal financial situation. It helps put life into perspective. Donation and volunteer opportunities can be found at www.stvincentdepaul.net.
Please feel free to pass this along to your contacts and networks so that we can make Phoenix a better place, even if it is in a time of economic hardship.
-Edward Jensen

No comments: